9am.health makes it easier for you to manage and treat diabetes. When you sign up, you'll have access to a full type 2 diabetes care team, including:
- Licensed Physicians & Pharmacists
- Diabetes Care & Education Specialists
- Health Coaches
Even better? You don't have to leave your house, so there's no need to take extra time off work or go to multiple locations for visits.
Here's how it works:
1. You fill out a medical questionnaire so the 9am.health team can examine your health history and medication list.
2. If you take a medication we don't offer, your team will work with you to find a substitution that we do offer, if appropriate.
3. Along with medications and lab tests, we'll create a plan that addresses lifestyle factors like nutrition, exercise and stress management, essential factors for healthy blood sugar, in a way that works for you.
Watch this video to learn more!
Diabetes care that fits your life
- Online prescriptions
- Free at-home meds delivery
- At-home lab tests
- Personalized treatment plan
- On-demand access to care team
Our type 2 diabetes medications
9am.health offers a variety of medications for diabetes that work to lower your blood sugar:
- Metformin. Metformin works by decreasing the amount of sugar your liver makes and releases into the blood, and it also makes your body more sensitive to insulin.
- Glipizide and Glimepiride. These two medications work by increasing how much insulin your pancreas makes.
- Pioglitazone. This drug works by helping your cells use insulin more efficiently.
New diabetes medications
9am.health is focused on affordable care, so some new medications aren't offered as part of treatment simply because they are so costly (out of pocket up to $1,000 a month). But we make sure to work with you to find an alternative that fits with your care plan.
New medications you may hear about include:
- SGLT 2 Medications: Increase the amount of sugar excreted in urine.
- GLP-1 Receptor Agonists: Injections that help your body make more insulin only when blood glucose rises, regualtes hunger hormones, and slow down gastric emptying (how fast food exits the stomach).
How to treat type 2 diabetes with a diet?
In addition to medications, a big part of your diabetes care plan is focused on your diet.
A diet for diabetes usually reduces refined or processed carbohydrates like sweets, soda, pasta, bread, or rice because they can quickly spike your blood sugar.
But fiber-rich carbs like whole grains, brown rice, fruits, and vegetables are digested more slowly and can help balance blood sugar levels.
There's no one size fits all approach for diabetes since we are all so different, so this is where your 9am.health team can help! They can work with you to individualize your diet to help you meet blood sugar goals but still include foods you enjoy.
Plus, you'll learn how to check your blood sugar to see how certain foods affect you so you can make changes as needed.
How does exercise help type 2 diabetes?
Exercising regularly can be a great tool to help manage blood sugars. It makes your cells more responsive to insulin to lower your blood sugar, even hours after you exercise! Plus, when your muscles are working, they use more sugar from the blood.
All movement counts. Daily moderate exercise is ideal, but simply walking after meals can wake up those muscles and help lower blood sugar. Your care team will help you develop a plan that feels comfortable with your fitness level.
A holistic approach to type 2 diabetes care
Type 2 diabetes can be managed and treated by a holistic approach that includes medication, healthy nutritionand exercise. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming to put all the pieces together, but the 9am.health team is here to help.
Type 2 diabetes treatment personalized for you
9am.health wants to remove the barriers to diabetes treatment. Our online holistic support approach is designed to make it easier to meet your medication, healthy nutrition, and exercise needs. Learn more here.